Saturday, July 22
Supply List Key
BSS – Basic Sewing Supplies (needles, thread, seam ripper, fabric and paper scissors,thimble, straight pins and pin cushion, marking pen/pencil, needle threader)
SM – Sewing Machine in good order with extra bobbins, extension cord, power strip and instruction manual.
RCM – Rotary Cutter, Mat and ruler (6″ x 24″ unless otherwise noted)
LL316. SAT LIGHT LUNCH LECTURE; 12:15PM, TRINIDAD: DONNA THOMAS – PATCHWORK PALETTE: Do you love the thought of using lots and lots of those beautiful prints you’ve been collecting in glorious multi-fabric quilts? Does the idea of taming and making sense of all those prints seem overwhelming? After a review of some basic principles about combining prints, Donna will share with you her three fabric recipes that make it as simple as pie to plan beautiful fabric palettes to sew into glorious quilts. These are nothing like your traditional scrap quilts. Donna will bring lots of quilts to illustrate her concepts. Cost of lunch and lecture: $32
LL317. SAT TEA LECTURE/DEMO; 4PM TRINIDAD: NANCY PRINCE – SO WHAT IS THREAD PAINTING ALL ABOUT? Come take a fun and thought-provoking journey with Nancy into the avenue of thread painting. While thread painting can look complicated, in fact, it is actually very easy. The lecture will demonstrate her step-by-step techniques to show you just how simple the technique can be. And finally the trunk show will detail a short history of some of her thread painted quilts. Cost of tea and lecture: $25
LL318. SAT 7PM SHOW & TELL WITH MIMI AND NORMA! Open to registrants only. Enjoy the antics of the Dynamic Duo and catch the flying fat quarters! Secret surprises too! FREE TO REGISTRANTS.
SATURDAY MORNING CLASSES: 9-NOON UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED
301. CAN THIS QUILT BE SAVED? – BONNIE DWYER: Do you have an old, damaged or deteriorated quilt and wonder what to do with it? Bonnie has extensive knowledge about the care of vintage quilts and will present information about handling fragile quilts, how best to store and display them, and when to consider a repair. In addition to showing samples and demonstrating a few repair techniques, Bonnie will offer suggestions for treatment of quilts brought in by students. SUPPLIES: Note taking things and your old but precious quilts. Cost of class: $40.
302. SIMPLE THREAD PAINTING: COUNTRY THREADS – NANCY PRINCE: All skill levels. A simple design, a few spools of thread and a willingness to learn are all that is required to be successful in this workshop. This workshop is a great way to ease into thread painting and learn the basics – a good refresher if you have already taken a workshop from me. It’s fun and addictive. So come and have some fun. Kit fee of $18 includes custom printed background fabric, 1 piece of printed stabilizer, two pieces of stabilizer backing, four 2” x 10” pieces of muslin and CD with color instructions. Cost of class: $40
319. 8AM-NOON: QUILTED TEXTURE FROM A TO ZEN – BETHANNE NEMESCH: 8-NOON. Intermediate + skill level up. This is NOT a longarm class. Traditional free motion background fillers are a wonderful starting point, but what happens when you let yourself be influenced by natural patterns, everyday objects, macro photography, and the art of Zendoodling? Be inspired by Bethanne’s fresh take on backgrounds, with inspiration from every letter of the alphabet, perfect for filling those big open spaces of more modern quilts! Must be experienced in free-motion. Kit fee of $5 includes handouts. SUPPLIES: SM with free motion foot, BSS; sketchbook and pencils; purple air erase pen; thread snips; straight ruler with 1/4″ lines. Before class, make a sample with batting and backing to fill. Bring extra practice fabric, batting and backing. Cost of class: $65
SATURDAY AFTERNOON CLASSES: 2-5PM
303. FINISHING SCHOOL – BONNIE DWYER: Do you wonder why your finished quilt edges wobble? Do you struggle to make neat and tidy bindings? Learn tricks of the trade for a pleasing finished quilt: squaring up, correcting wobbly edges, selecting an appropriate edge treatment, and blocking. This workshop includes demonstrations of techniques for multiple edge finishes; hands-on sewing of sample edge finishes; and the option for each participant applying one bias or straight edge binding to their own finished quilt. Bonnie shares tips and suggestions galore to help you bring your beautiful quilt up to the next level. Cost of class: $40.
304. SPLIT GEESE – DONNA THOMAS: Confident beginner skill level. Rotary cutting and machine piecing skills required. This beautiful old block is now easy to make using the On-Point ruler. Make this contemporary variation using lots of fabrics from your stash while learning a new way to measure and make blocks with on-point patchwork construction. Donna will provide optional kits to make a four-block 21” square table topper. The cost of a kit is $30, inlcudes all materials except batting and backing, and are offered in a variety of color variations. There is no need to pre-order or pre-pay for the kit. She will bring a large number of kits in an assortment of colors for you to choose from. You can pay for them at the time of the class. Class pre-cutting is done for you in each kit. Cost of class: $40
310. ON THE EDGE: THE DEVIL IS STILL IN THE DETAILS – BETHANNE NEMESCH: 4-HOUR CLASS FROM 2-6PM. This is NOT a longarm class. Confident Intermediate to advanced skill level. Sometimes the difference between a show quilt and an award-winning show quilt is in the details. On the judging floor, one point is often all that separates a contestant from a winner. Bethanne will share her unique finish details which have been proven winners in shows across the country in her quilts. Students will make a collection of samples that feature a variety of knife edge, faced binding specialty techniques including Bethanne’s signature beaded piping, swag and piped edge, tab edge and corded edge finishes. Take your quilting to the next level with masterpiece details! Class kit fee of $25 is required and includes pre-quilted squares, all beads, piping, cording and handouts for the project. The original Devil in the Details class is NOT a prerequisite. This class is simply different projects with a focus on knife edge, faced quilts. SUPPLIES: BSS for hand and machine sewing (Bethanne suggests long, strong applique needles), SM with zipper foot or a foot that allows sewing flush against an obstruction, and two 1-yd pieces of bias 2-1/2” strips in contrast colors folded in half and pressed like you would make binding (a fat quarter will generally yield about a yard of bias strips) matching strong thread for each of your 2 color choices (A polyester is recommended for its tensile strength – cotton breaks very easily); 6″ x 1″ clear acrylic ruler; purple air erase pen; new wooden pencil with FRESH ERASER; large sewing scissors,like 8″ sheers. Cost of class: $65
314. CRAZY QUILT EMBELLISHED EMBROIDERY – CINDY ORAVECZ: Motivated beginner to intermediate skill level. Create heavily embellished motifs for a crazy quilt block, framed embroidery or stitch book. First, learn to embroider with leather and silk floss and the turkey stitch to create a dimensional sheep. Secondly, create a Rosebud Lattice Heart with silk ribbon. Lastly, use YLI’s Candlelight thread and glass beads to create a glistening 8-pointed star. Bring a crazy quilt block to stitch these motifs onto or stitch them to the fabric you receive in class which could be the first page of your own stitch book. Kit fee of $20 includes 2” square of leather, 12 yds silk floss, 1 yd cotton floss, tracing and graph paper, 3 yds 4mm silk ribbon, 3 yds 7mm silk ribbon, 1 yd Candlelight thread, 12 size beads, fabric, a mechanical pencil and needles: Milliner’s 9 and 11, tapestry petite, chenille 18 and 22. SUPPLIES: 7” and 5” embroidery hoops, 6- or 12-inch ruler, glue stick, sharp fine-pointed scissors, white cotton or poly sewing thread, BSS. (Supplies to bring are also available for sale from the teacher in class). Cost of class: $40
ALL DAY CLASSES 9am-5pm WITH 2-HOUR LUNCH, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.
305. OH MY STARS! – NORMA CAMPBELL & MIMI DIETRICH: Oh my! Stars! Celebrate Quilt Odyssey’s 18th year with Norma and Mimi as they show their students how to make “stellar” log cabins! Students will piece a traditional log cabin, and Mimi and Norma will show you their favorite techniques for log cabin success. In the afternoon, the Dynamic Duo will split the class into two groups to applique the stars .… by hand and by machine …. technique of your choice!
Kit fee of $10 includes pattern, paper stars and bonus full-size pattern. SUPPLIES: SM with full bobbins of thread that blends with your log cabin blocks; RCM; BSS; thread that coordinates with the log cabin; thread to appliqué the stars; hand sewing needles; fabric & paper scissors; pencil; straight pins; 6″ x 18″ or 6″ 2 24″ ruler. Fabrics to make small quilt (43″ x 43″): 8 fat qtrs of dark fabrics and 8 fat qtrs of light fabrics for the log cabin blocks – colors of your choice; 1/2 yd for stars and inner border; 1-3/8 yds dark fabric for the outer border and binding. Before class: Please wash and iron all fabrics – we will cut fabrics together in class.Cost of class: $72
307. FOLK ART DESIGN AND APPLIQUE – BETTY NEFF: This class is designed for people interested in applique, signature and documentation quilts. Betty has designed a class, taught in 2016, that has been requested for repeat! From the QO2016 class drawings, she has designed a quilt that will be on display, as a group quilt, during QO2017. In class each student will design an 18” applique block based on historical Americana Album and Folk Art quilts. Designs will be shared with all participants. Fabric choices are totally your personal decision. This could be the perfect project for that Vintage stash you’ve been dying to cut into! You say you can’t draw…Betty has prepared a personal design folder with shapes to use and adapt, subject options, guidelines and written directions to inspire you again and again. She will walk you through the process quickly! Locating a place for your signature and/or information will be addressed. The second part of the class will focus on learning or improving applique skills. Back-basting preparation will be demonstrated. Other basic set up techniques will be offered as well. Needle turn stitching should give you a quiet productive afternoon! “Broderie Perse” will be demonstrated, so think of this when selecting fabrics. Pattern/handout fee of $20 include large paper for 20 patterns plus extra; complete design folder including templates, color prints and any necessary postage. SUPPLIES: 6” x 12” or 4” x 8” ruler; FINE Sharpie, pencil and good knead eraser; 21” square background fabric (Betty uses KONA “snow”); small collection of fabric scraps or 4-5 FQ in reds and greens or colors of your choice. Cost of class: $72
311. PYRAMIDS & JEWELS – DEBBY KRATOVIL: Pyramids and Jewels – Two quilts, two techniques. This Thousand Pyramids quilt of Debby’s appeared in the Summer 2014 issue of Modern Patchwork Magazine. She squeezed every single bit of fabric from her pack of Kona solid charm squares. To her delight, she had the makings for a second quilt when she carefully cut out her first quilt. This is a machine class. Pattern fee: $12 for both (not each). Also, Debby will have a supply of multi-size 60 degree rulers for sale at $8 each. Cost of class: $72
PLEASE NOTE: ELNA HAS GRACIOUSLY PLACED MACHINES IN DEBBY’S CLASSES FOR YOU TO USE.
313. MINI-MOSAICS – CHERYL LYNCH. This is a fun no-sew workshop that imitates the ancient art of mosaics, inspired by Cheryl’s trip to Israel. Learn how to create a mosaic picture from small pre-cut pieces of lots of colored fabric, using a technique that Cheryls has developed to simplify the process. Pick one of the available patterns, in class, that will finish to measure 9” x 12,” and then can be bordered to your preference. Bring tweezers and sharp small scissors to use with a provided kit. Kit fee: $16 payable to the instructor at the time of the class contains patterns, stabilizer, tulle, directions and fabric. SUPPLIES: 20″ x 30″ sheet foam core (available at the dollar store) cut in half to yield two pieces that measure 15″ x 20″; low tack blue painters tape; tweezers, small pair sharp scissors, Sharpie marker; egg carton or embroidery floss organizer. No sewing machine needed. Cost of class: $72.
306. MYSTERY QUILT! A SPOT O’ TEA – LINDA BALLARD: Linda comes the whole way from California to offer her mystery quilts and we’ve never been disappointed! This quilt has great quick piecing techniques and goes quite quickly. The fun is all the fabrics you get to use … make it totally a scrap quilt, a set color scheme, or how about a given line of fabric. Many sizes are offered. Great for all skill levels: beginner plus to advanced. Book fee of $5 payable to Linda at time of class. Cost of class: $72.
PLEASE NOTE: BERNINA HAS GRACIOUSLY PLACED MACHINES IN LINDA’S CLASSES FOR YOU TO USE.
308. CALM SEAS – MICHELLE HIATT: This quilt uses Deb Tucker’s Studio 180 Design’s latest tool, the large Square Squared and the Diamond Rects. No paper piecing! Michelle’s design puts a modern spin on the typical Storm at Sea quilt layout. Michelle used 12 graduating colors which gives it that calm smooth feeling. This quilt works great with solid, tone on tone or batik fabrics. The pattern includes 3 size options (throw, twin, king) and you will be amazed how easily this quilt comes together with the right tools! The class will include step-by-step use for both tools, as well as tips on piecing and proper pressing techniques to make this quilt perfect! Additionally, Michelle will talk through the appropriate border prep and application and ways to improve your general machine piecing. Cost of class: $72
PLEASE NOTE: JANOME HAS GRACIOUSLY PLACED MACHINES IN MICHELLE’S CLASSES FOR YOU TO USE.
312. AUTUMN TABLE MAT – LISA BONGEAN: Perfect for your fall table this new wool applique mat is 22″ x 22.” Our kits will only include wools, and the backing fabric. If you need the pattern you will need to purchase kit and pattern. Kit/pattern fee of $60 includes all wool and homespun backing. Threads can be purchased separately as a kit or individually. Lisa recommends these Valdani #12 perle cotton threads: P12, 0154, M90, 1645, 1 Black, 0548, 0178. Valdani #8 perle cotton threads: P12, 0196. Thread kit can be purchased for $52.50. Cost of class: $72.
DAY AND A HALF WORKSHOP: SATURDAY FROM 9AM-5PM THRU SUNDAY 9-NOON
315. WEDDING RING TABLE TOPPER – ANDREA SCHNUR: Join Andrea as she shares the techniques of Judy Niemeyer in one of her new popular designs –Wedding Ring Table Topper. Learn the teachings that Judy had worked on to help simplify the process of paper piecing her quilts. Class instruction will focus on the design, along with providing the standard paper piecing practices, strip piecing; curved piecing, point markings. Take the class and see why so many people are becoming addicted to Quiltworx designs. In attending this class – all fabrics, templates and foundation papers will need to be cut out beforehand. Andrea prefers her students purchase their patterns from her; so that she is assured they have the latest corrected copy. Patterns not purchased from her – she will not guarantee they have all corrections. Patterns can be ordered on www.quiltsensations.com Cost of class: $100.