Thursday, July 20
Supply List Key
BSS – Basic Sewing Supplies (needles, thread, seam ripper, fabric and paper scissors,thimble, straight pins and pin cushion, marking pen/pencil, needle threader)
SM – Sewing Machine in good order with extra bobbins, extension cord, power strip and instruction manual.
RCM – Rotary Cutter, Mat and ruler (6″ x 24″ unless otherwise noted)
LL119. THURS, LIGHT LUNCH LECTURE; 12:15PM TRINIDAD ROOM: DEB KRATOVIL – SHORTCUTS FROM A SHORT WOMAN. This is a trunk show bursting with tips, tricks, shortcuts and a variety of innovations that will satisfy any quilter. Debby demonstrates traditional blocks made with non-traditional methods. With 25-35 quilts she will show quick ways to create otherwise difficult blocks and finishing techniques: taking out the y-seam on Lone Stars; no handsewing of quilt labels, rod pockets and binding – no kidding! She is always making new samples, so every time she gives this trunk show she has at least a dozen new quilts using the latest fabrics. Debby is the Queen of Tips and Tricks and she loves to share these things to make your quilting life easier and more fun. Cost of lunch and lecture: $32
LL120. THURS TEA LECTURE/DEMO, 4PM TRINIDAD ROOM: JOYCE TENG – TRANFORMING FABRIC INTO ART: Joyce will demonstrate methods to transform plain yardage into one-of-a-kind fabric that can be used in any project from traditional quilts to art quilts or innovative wearables. Using Tsukeniko® ink and various tools and materials combined with TSC Designs stencils, you will be inspired to create unique fabric art that reflects your own color and design choices. Cost of tea and lecture: $25
LL121. THURS EVENING LECTURE; 7PM TRINIDAD ROOM: LISA CALLE – LISA CALLE’S TRUNK FILLED WITH ANYTHING BUT JUNK: Come spend a little time with Lisa H Calle, an Award Winning quilter! With her humor and down to earth attitude she will share with you her personal and professional journey of quilting. Lisa illustrates how she has earned renowned success from her initial piece using a “3/8” seam allowance, to her latest quilt that won awards at the Houston International Quilt Festival. As you gain insight on Lisa’s amazing craft and her 3 step Divide and Design method any hesitation you have regarding the patience or talent for quilting will quickly disappear. So if you doubt whether or not you can quilt with pride, Lisa will give you the confidence and knowledge needed to start. The world of quilting can be yours too! Cost of lecture: $15
ALL DAY CLASSES 9am-5pm WITH 2-HOUR LUNCH, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.
101. STASHBUSTER BASKETS – MIMI DIETRICH: Learn the basics of hand appliqué using Mimi’s favorite techniques. Mimi will teach you how to make curved basket handles, baskets shaped with freezer paper, and perfectly placed hearts. She will also inspire you to use your stash to make more baskets for a quilt. This is a great class for beginners as well as experience quilters who want to brush up on appliqué techniques. Finished block size is 6.” SUPPLIES: 10” square of background fabric; 10” square of 2 coordinating fabrics from your stash for basket and heart; thread to match appliqué fabrics, hand appliqué needles, thimble, straight pins, small sharp scissors, RCM, pencil, glue stick, tweezers. Cost of class: $72.
103. INSTANT IMPROV FOR QUILTERS – BONNIE DWYER: All skill levels. This workshop presents a laid-back approach to design, forcing quilters to work with what they have. Students will make improvisational quilt blocks by combining a few of their own scraps with those supplied in class. We will let loose with wonky strips and off-kilter squares in this fun-filled journey down the improve road. This class works well for those who have always wanted to bring out their inner abstract artist. This workshop is best for those who will allow themselves to be open to asymmetrical, abstract, and generally “wonky” designs. A sewing machines IS needed for this class. Cost of class: $72
105. TRIPLETS – NORMA CAMPBELL: Join Norma Campbell in making one of her favorite ensembles, lovingly called “Triplets” – smaller versions of her very popular and full-sized “Trip Around the World.” This class will guide you through the process of making three crib-sized quilts using just 9 different fabrics, fabrics that are arranged in three unique ways with different borders that result in three slightly different, but all quite beautiful quilts. Each Triplet measures about 34″ x 45″ when completed. At the end of your class session, you will have completed about half of one top and you will have learned Norma’s secrets to making the “Trip” – an enjoyable class for both advanced and beginners alike. Cost of class: $72.
107. POSITIVE/NEGATIVE SCROLLWORK – DIANNE HIRE: Intermediate to advanced skill level. Create 2-4 blocks reminiscent of a William Morris scroll pattern, a 12” repeat block with a connecting design. Then using your design, fuse positive and negative cuts. This is an elegant continuous scroll-like arrangement that may be used as a 2 or 4-block wall hanging or as a larger quilt’s border. Your machine must be capable of satin stitch appliqué and you must bring a lightbox, minimum size as noted in the Supply List – AND Dianne will give info on how to create an inexpensive one. Cost of class: $72
109. BROKEN DISHES PLACEMATS – ANDREA SCHNUR: Join Andrea as she shares the techniques of Judy Niemeyer in one of her new popular designs – Broken Daisy Placemats. Learn the teachings that Judy had worked on to help simplify the process of paper piecing her quilts. Class instruction will focus on the intense center of this design, along with providing the standard paper piecing practices, curved piecing and point markings. Take the class and see why so many people are becoming addicted to Quiltworx designs. Confident beginner up skill level. * Pattern fee: Andrea prefers that her students purchase their patterns from her, so she is assured that they have the latest corrected copy. They can be ordered on www.quiltsensations.com. Cost of class: $72.
111. STITCHING TRAVEL PILLOW – LISA BONGEAN: Lisa has designed a new pattern for travel pillows. You will have your choice of 3 different colors for the kits. Make one for you or for your quilting buddies. I use mine all the time when I’m traveling…not just for stitching, but to prop up my IPad or my latest read on my lap. And guess what??? you can even use this to snooze on. 🙂 This design will fit a 12″ x 16″ pillow form which you can order from Primitive Gatherings in the options section. Snaps and zippers sold separately. Threads needed are Valdani #12 Perle cotton P1 OR Valdani Perle cotton #8 – 0126 OR black; AND 0154 and 0196. Kit and pattern fee of $32 includes pattern, and all the wool, fabric and flannel backing. SUPPLIES: TBA. Cost of class: $72
102. MYSTERY QUILT: “BABY’S BREATH” – LINDA BALLARD: It’s a mystery! Our Queen of the Mystery Quilts is back with us this year and has two more mysterious quilts for you! This one is called “Baby’s Breath” and it’s sure to please you. Confident beginner skill level. Kit fee of $5 to be paid to the instructor at the time of the class. Cost of class: $72
PLEASE NOTE: BERNINA HAS GRACIOUSLY PLACED MACHINES IN LINDA’S CLASSES FOR YOU TO USE.
106. JENN’S JOURNEY – MICHELLE HIATT: Confident beginner skill level. Michelle designed this modern play on Snail’s Trail quilt layout in honor of a longtime friendship. Her design makes excellent use of those one yard fabric cuts you have been collecting. It comes together with effortlessly using Studio 180 Design’s Diamond Rects and NEW Large Square Squared. Students will complete this journey with ease. Yes, you read correctly, a Snail’s trail block without paper piecing! Pattern fee – $6 (wholesale prices) to students only. Cost of class: $72
PLEASE NOTE: JANOME HAS GRACIOUSLY PLACED MACHINES IN MICHELLE’S CLASSES FOR YOU TO USE.
108. THREAD PAINTING & SKETCHING COMBINED – NANCY PRINCE: All skill levels. This workshop will intro-duce students to both thread painting and thread sketching. A pre-printed design easily guides you through each step to assure your success right from the start. You will be amazed how a straight and zigzag stitch create magic right before your eyes. All aspects of each design are demoed via camera and projector so it is almost like having a private lesson with Nancy! So come see how easy the process is and how much fun creating designs in thread can be. Kit fee of $18 includes two pieces of stabilizer, one piece stabilizer backing, two pieces of tulle, one piece 12″ x 11″ Kona cotton, one piece of 12″ x 11″ batting and Nancy’s CD. Cost of class: $72
110. SEVEN SISTERS – DEBBY KRATOVIL. Confident beginner skill level. Recreate this timeless and traditional quilt block using your favorite colors. Work with 60 degree diamonds and triangles – easily cut using a multisized 60 degree ruler. Quick piecing techniques bypass y-seams (set-in seams) and students will be delighted to see how smoothly everything comes together. The option of adding an outer border will be discussed, but our class focuses on the table topper as pictured here. Pattern fee of $15 includes multi-sized 60-degree ruler – $8 if you bring your own ruler. Cost of class: $72
PLEASE NOTE: ELNA HAS GRACIOUSLY PLACED MACHINES IN DEBBY’S CLASSES FOR YOU TO USE.
112. SEWING WITH SILK – CHERYL LYNCH: Confident beginner , intermediate up. Have you been intrigued by the sheen and glamour of Dupioni Silk, but are afraid to work with it? Dupioni silk is a beautiful and multi-faceted fabric that adds elegance to any project. It can be prepared so that it will behave like cotton. Cheryl will share her tips for working with dupioni while each student will design and construct a wallhanging out of half square triangles. Kit fee of $30 is required and includes fabric, tips and patterns to create a wallhanging that measures 24” x 36”. SUPPLIES: SM with 1/4″ foot; square ruler measuring 12-1/2″ or 18-1/2″; fabric marking pen; parchment paper or appliqué pressing sheet; grey cotton 50 wt thread for piecing; bias Square ruler for 4″ half square triangles; RCM with a new blade; cotton fabric to use as a pressing cloth. Kit fee of $30, payable to Cheryl at the time of the class, contains silk, stabilizer and instructions – and choice of 3 colorways: Jewel Box, Flamingo or Rusty Nails. Cost of class: $72
EVENING CLASSES (6:30-9:30PM)
113. ENGLISH PAPER PIECING – BEYOND THE HEXIE – CINDY ORAVECZ – Motivated beginner to intermediate skill level. It was one of our country’s oldest ways of quilting and it is still today’s most popular trend – English Paper Piecing. If you have not tried this form of hand stitching, be warned, it’s very addictive! Why? It’s portable and it’s fast. It’s also very good looking patchwork because it turns out so precise. Corners meet magically and easily. What makes this technique even better is playing with fabric color and design and cutting it up so it creates new designs. Join Cindy and you will go beyond the hexagon to a simple, 4-pointed star. Eight easy pieces makes a cute 4-inch block and its lots of fun. Kit fee of $8 includes all pattern pieces to create 9, four-inch snowball blocks, crinoline, needle, mechanical pencil. SUPPLIES: Students should bring: Your favorite fabric whether it be mod or reproduction, bring 1/3 yard of both a light background and a dark background, and bring ¼ yard each of 3 contrasting colors to the background that coordinate; glue pen, Superior So Fine or Gutermann polyester thread in variety of colors to match your fabrics, extra magnification and lighting if you have it, BSS, sharp scissors, paper scissors. (Supplies to bring are also available for purchase from teacher in class). Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want a fabric kit for $13.75 of the blocks shown. Cost of class: $35
115. FEATHERWEIGHTS & MINI QUILTS! – BETTY NEFF: Confident beginner up skill level. This is NOT a service class…it’s sewing with your Featherweight. Small machine and small piecing! Make a 4-Block Sampler of 4” blocks. Learn how to work small with big impact. Pattern has four beautiful blocks using different techniques to complete each one. You will have multiple designs to choose from, all using basic piecing. We’ll use every technique available in our skill set to get these blocks done accurately. You choose to set them in a strip or as a 4-square. SUPPLIES: Featherweight in excellent working order (no servicing available) and versatile knowledge of use, BSS, Featherweight set up with size 9-10 needle and size 60 wt. Neutral color thread, ¼” acrylic foot (available in class), small iron and press mat, RCM with 4” x 8” ruler, FINE quilting pins, Fabric scraps PLUS using a variety of fabric pre-cut, package and label the following: (8) 1½” x 2½” light cuts, (8) 3 ¼” light squares, (8) 3 ¼” dark squares, (32) 1 ½” dark squares, (16) 1 7/8” light squares, (16) 1 7/8” dark squares. Back and Batting of 11” x 25” or 12” x 12”. “Small” quilt Binding info and demo in class. Cost of class: $40
114. STUMPWORK – PAT CHRIST: All skill levels. In addition to being creative, the Pennsylvania Germans were also thrifty. “Star Embroidery,” or as the Pennsylvania Germans refer to as “stumpwork,” has been in existence more than 120 years. This type of wool embroidery was generally done on closely woven fabrics that were being recycled from worn clothes or household items. Leftover yarn from other projects was used with a tin star pattern that was made by the local tinsmith. There was never any waste in the household of a Pennsylvania German. Students will be making a “Star Embroidery” block in class while learning the interesting technique of”stumpwork.” This block can be used to create a pin cushion, Christmas ornament, or you can continue to make additional blocks for a larger project. Handout fee of $10 includes background fabric, tin template, needle and instructions. SUPPLIES: pair of small scissors with a sharp point, three different colors of yarn that complement each other (preferably wool). Cost of class: $40.
THURSDAY LONGARM CLASSES
LA010. GETTING’ IN THE GROOVE – LISA CALLE 9:00-Noon: Confident beginner skill level. (some template experience helpful) HANDS-ON CLASS – two students per head. This is a product specific class, but no need to purchase the rulers before the class! Quilter’s Groove® Rulers – you might have heard of them. Lisa uses rulers on all her award winning quilts and finds it helpful to have just the right one to make the job easier. Join her as she takes you on a tour of her newly designed rulers, ProLine, ProCurve and ProEcho and all that you can do with them. You will quickly learn that jus the right tools makes your job a whole lot easier. KIT FEE payable to the instructor at the time of the class: $25 includes panel, batting, backing and handout. SUPPLIES: note taking supplies. Cost of class: $77.
LA011. GRIDS ARE STILL GROOVY – MARGARET GUNN: 2:00-6:00pm. This is always one of Margaret’s more popular classes, and she has”tweaked” it somewhat for 2017. Students will learn at least two dozen fun background fill patterns, all of which utilize a pre-marked grid. Some of these will be based on the traditional Japanese Sashiko patterns, and others will be just great repertoire-building designs. This class is offered as a hands-on class with two students per head. This class is suitable for a confident beginner and up. Kit fee of $20 includes a pre-marked top, batting, backing and class handouts. Students must bring a straight longarm template, paper/pencil, scissors/snips and a blue water-soluble marking pen. Cost of class: $105.